The reason corn cobs are so dangerous to dogs is because a dog can’t properly digest them. Dogster.com posted a horror story a few years back, and much more can be found by doing a Google search ‘corn cob dangers and dogs.’
Even if your dog chews up the corn cob into small pieces, those pieces are too hard to pass through the digestive system and can cause a partial or complete blockage. Inducing vomiting isn’t an option, as it can lead to tearing, blockage and aspiration that could result in an open chest surgery.
Unfortunately, a corn cob incident can be very expensive. By the time your dog is x-rayed and undergone surgery to remove the cob from the stomach, you could be looking at a bill in the thousands of dollars price range.
The Daily Puppy reports signs to watch for if you believe your dog has chewed his way through a corn cob are vomiting, straining during defecation, loss of appetite, stomach pain, whimpering, and restlessness. If you see any of these symptoms, contact your vet immediately.
This isn’t a situation where you should Google to find out what needs to be done because, in the end, you’ll get two dozen different answers from two dozen different people. Contact your vet, and follow the instructions the vet gives you, even if it means emergency surgery.
Please share this information with friends who love dogs. Eating a corn cob doesn’t sound like that big of a deal when in reality it can be life-threatening.