According to a March 14 report by Fox Carolina News, a South Carolina toddler is in a coma after drinking a toxic substance.
On March 10, 2-year-old Dylan Avery of Clinton was playing outside with his toys when he picked up a tiki torch canister, thinking it was a cup. His parents, Jimmy and Heather Avery said what happened next took only seconds. In an interview with Fox, Heather said
Dylan tried to drink the tiki torch fluid and was startled when his parents rushed to stop him. This caused Dylan to inhale the fluid into his lungs. The boy suffered serious respiratory damage, including a collapsed right lung.
A GoFundMe page has been set up for the family, as Jimmy and Heather have had to put their lives on hold until little Dylan recovers. Please donate a few dollars if you can, to take the financial worries off of this family as they remain by Dylan at the Charleston hospital. The webpage gives more information about his condition, stating
“He initially received immediate medical attention in Laurens, SC ER. That hospital air lifted him to a larger hospital in Greenville where his condition continued to deteriorate. He was put on life support in March 11, 2015. His lungs began to fill with blood early the next morning, March 12, 2015.”
The two year old is now in a medically induced coma and on life support. Dylan was first taken to Laurens County Hospital, then airlifted to Greenville Memorial Hospital. From there, he was airlifted to MUSC in Charleston. He’s currently receiving ECHMO treatment, which removed blood from his veins to oxygenate before returning it to his body.
Doctors told the Avery family this is the first case they’ve seen of tiki torch poisoning. The family wants to share their story with parents to prevent this from happening to other children. James has a warning to parents and grandparents of small children.
“Summer is coming around, and you never know what your kids could get into, Everyone uses these little tiki torches around their yard.”
Please share this article with parents and grandparents of young children, with the hope no other child is poisoned by ingesting tiki torch fluid. Dylan remains in stable but critical condition.