Pit bull killed after stand-off with Fairfield police

June 10, 2013

A Fairfield, California man is in custody and his pit bull dead after a stand-off with police.

The incident occurred on June 7, 2013 when Matthew Morton,51, was discovered hiding on his ex-wife’s property on the 300 block on Gregory Street. The ex had called police Friday afternoon to inform them Morton was in violation of a restraining order and had past arrests for violating the order.

 Fairfield Police Department officers made contact with a 70-year-old woman, who wasn’t identified. She told officers her ex-husband was hiding in an outbuilding in her yard, and that his dog was with him.

Morton was considered violent, and as a result, his dog is now dead. Fairfield police says Morton refused to surrender when they found him and used the dog to keep police from arresting him. The pit bull had injured Morton’s ex in a previous incident, so the dog did have a history of biting.

Police Sgt. Randy Boggs stated in an interview with Bay City News that the dog held the officers at bay for 45 minutes. Officers tried to contain the dog using pepper spray and a stun gun, but the dog was shot while attempting to attack the officers.

Solano Humane Animal Services took the dog to a vet for treatment, but the injuries proved fatal. Morton was arrested for violating the restraining order, resisting arrest, and for using his dog to resist arrest. Morton was taken to North Bay Medical Center in Fairfield and treated for minor injuries received before being taken into custody, where he was booked at Solano County jail.

It’s sad that the blatant stupidity of a pit bull owner cost a dog its life, but in this case at least police did attempt non-lethal methods to contain the dog. This is one of the few cases this writer has heard of where police didn’t use their guns as the first line of defense.

Apparently their department has had some necessary training on how to deal with dangerous dogs. They knew before arriving that this dog had injured the owner’s wife in the past, and they came prepared with pepper spray and a Taser. It’s unfortunately that neither of these methods contained the dog, but it’s a step in the right direction where officers used non-lethal methods first instead of dismissing them altogether.

Our hearts go out to this unfortunate pit bull, who had the bad luck of having a careless, and most likely violent owner. Rest in peace baby. No dog should have to die trying to protect what sounds like a very undeserving person.

Readers, do you think the police went above and beyond in trying not to have to kill this dog. This is an interesting case, as police did attempt non-lethal methods first to contain the dog.

Your comments are welcome.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s